Friday, March 21, 2014

A note about training and races....

Consider this post a random stream of thought brought to you in due part to others posting there race schedules. This has made me look at my race schedule some and start to lock down my training with these races in mind.

Now that winter seems to be mostly gone, (while it is officially spring, we do have some cold and snow in our forecast for the next week here in the Mid-Atlantic), it should be easier to get out and enjoy training. This winter has been harsh and I have been lucky to not only train as much as I have but race as well as I have.

Last week's marathon and the prior week's 50K (34 mile - 50K) have served as a jump start to my racing year that has some big races coming up. So without further ado my confirmed 'big' race schedule:

Jack Bristol Lake Waramaug 100K - April
Broad Street Run (10M) - May
Cayuga Trails 50M - June
Hudson Highlands 100K - June
Viaduct 100M - Jul
Fire on the Mountain 50K - Oct

Now in there will be additional races like Trap Pond 50K two weeks prior to Jack Bristol and I am hoping to pencil in the Steamtown Marathon before Fire on the Mountain. I also will be running a number of 5K's too. (Ideally, some 10Ks and 5Ms too.) Some small, some large all with the goal of keeping me speedy. Plus, I love the social atmosphere at them. As my focus this year appears to be on a lot of ultra distances, I need to keep sharp, especially for a race like Broad Street. I finished last year in 53:29 and feel I am primed to cut that down some more, especially if Two Rivers was any indication.

However, right now my focus is on Jack Bristol. It is my 100K debut and all on road. While not my most favorite of racing surfaces anymore, this race is where I want to go sub 7:20. It is a lofty goal. And I might not hit it as 7:04 miles over 62 miles can be tough. I do feel the loop nature of the course will assist me. As a tune up, I will be running Trap Pond with the objective of hitting solid splits on a loop course. Unlike Jack Bristol, Trap Pond is fine crushed gravel. I'm three weeks out from that race which will be my last long run before the 100K. In the upcoming week, I hope to get one 20 mile run in (hoping tomorrow) and since I have some time off of work, a 5-6 hour training run that I would like to get 40 miles in. (It was funny yesterday even discussing a 5-6 hour training run with my partner since it is never a topic I thought I would ever bring up.) After that I will taper down and rest up a bit more. I don't want to risk breaking down too early.

Also, with the recent addition of Cayuga into my race schedule, I'm up in the air about racing a 50K two weeks prior. I'm thinking it will be smart since I likely would not want to go for a long run otherwise. Once Cayuga passes, I will lighten my training load over the summer. I didn't do it last year and I'm not sure I enjoyed the season as much. I'm definitely looking forward to what is in store.

All this is not without paying a price, I admit I will be missing some races I love, particularly those in the Trail Creek Outfitters series. The people who put the series on are great and the courses are wonderful. Also, I might be missing the entire XTERRA Mid-Atlantic series put on by the folks over at Adventure Geek. I really enjoyed hanging out with them and still hope I can squeeze in one race.

One race that MIGHT be back on my radar is a local gem, the Wissahickon Trail Classic 10K. With Cayuga on the slate, I have dropped Old Dominion (I hadn't signed up yet) so chances are good I'll be in the city on the day of the WTC. And considering it benefits the organization my partner is now involved with, something I am glad about the prospect of. The question will be....how will my legs feel about this?

Maybe that should be the question for the whole year.....Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment