Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pre-race Jitters

Usually always before any race I have some degree of jitters. However, when I feel I am at my best, they are minor. For tomorrow, they are a bit higher that usual.

A couple of factors play into this:

1) It's a trail race. Results for me have been mixed in my previous attempts.

2) This year, my worst opponent has been my body. Since the start of the year, I have had to manage my running around my groin flaring up. In mid-Feb, I was running well but was dumb and didn't rest when I should have. Right now, I feel behind the curve of speed fitness.

3) Last year put up some smoking fast times which Factor 2 is concerned about. After all, I would like to be high overall. In fact, I would like to win.

4) At the end of the month, I have a 10K. I would like to be in shape and not injured for it. Having been injured before during a trail race has me on edge.

Now, I'm saying these things because they are the reality and mindset of me as a runner. Once tomorrow comes, I'll be much better. All I have to decide really is if I want to use the INOV-8 X-Talon 190's. I'm trained in them well enough but feel comfy in racers. I haven't been in the Merrill's enough to have those be my trail racer yet.

And I know I still owe a post about my snowshoe race in NH on March 3rd. I plan on getting to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment