Thursday, December 31, 2020

A look back at the year that wasn't and was

 So 2020 is just about behind us. In fact, it is behind folks in some places globally at the moment. As we head into 2021, I implore folks to be cautious and safe. Yes, Covid-19 vaccines are starting to become available but it will still be a long process to we return to normal. Even here in the US, right now there are only anticipated vaccinations for 4.7 percent of the population in 2021. 

With the global pandemic, racing personally was pretty non-existent. 2020 saw me only reach ONE starting line. It was a 2 hour timed event with under 25 participants that had rolling starts to minimize spread. That single event was in September and really pushed my comfort level. Not in terms of running but safety. And I ran that with face covering. If that event was now, I wouldn't even consider it with the Covid numbers. 

What this means for looking ahead is that I'm not actively signing up for any 2021 events. I do have a roll over registration for World's End 50K in late May. 

As was the case in my last entry from July, most of miles have been done avoiding people. It still really troubles me about ignorance and a flippant disregard of safety from the running community. There is enough blame to go around so I don't feel I need to point out sectors. And yes, because I did one event I still am part of those to be blamed. I'd like to think on the whole my actions around Covid have been wise but I did a race where other people were present regardless if there was distancing. It's a risk because a group got together. Looking back, it was my weak moment. A risky one at that. 

My point is, we need to stop being so selfish in needing to do group runs and races. I'd love to get back to doing both as quick as possible but that's not happening any quicker if as a collective group continue to make 'me first' decisions. Every time I see group photos, I cringe. You might be the type that believes in masks and social distancing but come running, you behave no different than the 'anti-maskers, covid is a hoax people'.

In other words, knock it the fuck off. 

You want to go run? Great. Do it be yourself. Avoid areas where there are crowds. That is the way each of us can do our part. 

I've made my sacrifices avoiding some of my favorite and super local trails. Why? Because they are super crowded and people somehow forget face coverings at home like it is okay just because we are outdoors. If you are stepping out your home, there is no excuse or reason to not have one.

With that said, let's hope 2021 speeds up vaccination and slows the spread so we can enjoy things we have sacrificed and missed. And maybe in 2021, I will be less cranky as a 41 year old. Considering, I'm 41 while typing this, we have a long way to go for the result. I do know while 2020 saw me run 4100 miles, I'd like to have less miles and more competition. 

We can dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment